PORTRAIT OF AN OBJECT BACKGROUND
sunday dress of my mom & sisters:
1) church & the sacramento's. installation, ready made objects
2) family drama. installation, ready made objects
3) growing up rural. series, photographs
1) as a sundaysdress, this dress has seen the church a lot. me being always interested with the chruch, wanting to reflect on this background. so i installed these readymade objects that play a role in the initiation sacramentos, that are inherently connected to the churchgoing when growing up. the baptism, confirmation, eucharist are all shown in this work. this reflectes what the dress stood for.
2) the dress also saw some violence, sexual violence to be precise. I don't have to talk in detail about this family drama, but i wanted it to be part of the work, as it is part of the background of the dress.
1) and 2) put together in an installation, also showed what is showing above the table, but hwat is happening underneath it. this dualism of the church, was huge part of our family history. we took this dualism into our homes, playing nice weather but being capricious underneath. I really like this part, as it also showed the churches own drama, and all the sexual violence what happened under the table in that institution.
3) this series initially was a photoshoot of 50s fashion, or growing up rural. but it turned out to show the same pain, a pain of growing up a girl. the genderroles and genderexpectations that are put on girls, are reflected in the dress, namely. because in a dress, you cant play. because the dress has to stay clean. this subcatenous confining aspect of the dress, made girls 'behave like girls', and therefore is a symbol for the sexism that girls experience growing up. and the pain that comes with it. All that you're not allowed to. all that you're not supposed to.